A story of how our flexible supply chain management helped a retailer go all the way.
What started as a two-person operation has blossomed into an international powerhouse known for its unique company culture and values. As leader in the furniture and bedding industry, Malouf™ is driven to exceed customer expectations and satisfaction with innovative, high-quality bedding items that redefine how people sleep. Malouf™ products are available in over 15,000 retail partner locations in the U.S. and its growing international team now serves over 20 countries. The company’s vast footprint in the U.S. market is served by its extensive logistics network with over 5 million square feet of warehousing space across the country.
Malouf™ reached out to us to get support
surrounding the movement of cargo
through original bills of lading. In the
process of providing a solution we were
able to probe into their business and
uncovered other areas where Maersk was
able to help them connect and simplify
their supply chains.
Their main challenges included
- Needed options to improve cash flow by securing lending on in-transit inventory.
- Problems related to data integrity with existing Supply Chain Management (SCM) model.
- Vendor Management.
Malouf’s™ commitment to customer excellence required a logistics partner who could look at more than just ocean services to minimize transit times and optimize deliveries for their customers.
The Maersk solution
Malouf™ saw the benefits Maersk could offer as a logistics partner to integrate its supply chain needs across 8 origins in Asia and Eastern Europe.
- The SCM scope included vendor management, purchase order management, carrier management, CY planning, electronic data interchange (EDI) development as well as KPI reporting.
- The brokerage services included: Importer Security Filing (ISF), destination CHB, duty deduction, process automation and container release with and without credit.
There are two main things that won us over. First, it was great working with experts like Elizabeth Hemann, Head of SCM/4PL Product Development for North America, to put everything into perspective for us and with the combination of SCM and Customs House Brokerage, it felt like a big win to have those services under one umbrella. Second was Maersk’s thoughtful and innovative approach to our business. They were eager to learn about our business and find ways to help us save money. Julie Lindop, CHB Development Manager, had some fantastic ideas with CHB that will save us a lot of money in the years to come. It was this kind of thoughtful innovation that finally won us over. We want to work with those who will be an advocate for our company and an extension of our supply chain
Malouf™ was eager to embark on this journey with Maersk and requested to have an expedited 10-week implementation ahead of peak season. Maersk was able to meet this demand, and a strong implementation team was soon put in place to coordinate the efforts and execute across the core functions and all origins. What started with a conversation about an original bill of lading inquiry turned into a strategic partnership with Malouf™.
The customer’s benefits were
Supply Chain Management (SCM)
- The standardization of commercial documents (unified across vendors) including efficient delivery via EDI significantly reduced the amount of time taken to process documents.
- Improved Vendor Management: Vendors have a local contact who supports with any SCM/booking questions. The origin offices also help to ensure adherence to the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP).
- Availability of booking data to precisely determine the time of cargo’s departure and arrival.
- The SCM implementation changed the model of moving products on original bill of lading to a seawaybill movement, which expedited document processing and the release of cargo.
Customs House Brokerage
- Vessel Level Clearance (VLC) implementation that drives additional savings.
- Duty deduction savings.
- A partner who understands our business and its unique needs “…Maersk’s thoughtful and innovative approach to our business. They were eager to learn about our business and find ways to help us…”
Flexibility to shape your retail supply chain
The integration of ocean and logistics services provides us with a unique advantage - the flexibility to tailor solutions according to your needs for both single products and product bundles. This includes finding different ways of transportation and alternative routes to handle supply chain disruptions if needed.
To determine which option will be the most effective for your business, contact us.
Anything you need, we’re here to help
By submitting this form, I agree to receive logistics related news and marketing updates from A. P. Moller-Maersk and its affiliated companies via e-mail. I understand that I can opt out of such Maersk communications at any time. To see how we process your personal data, please see our Privacy Notification.