Helping an online retailer revamp their supply chain and introduce improvements in key supplier areas.
Our customer is a global online classifieds specialist, operating digital marketplaces in 12 countries. The company provides technology-based services to connect buyers with sellers and to facilitate transactions, from job offers to real estate, cars, consumer goods and more. Their portfolio spans 35 digital products and websites and employs 4,700 people committed to supporting users and customers daily.
From coordinating suppliers at origin to organising carriers for distribution, our customer was facing management issues in their supply chain. They were spending a significant amount of time in managing their logistics activities and hiring relevant people – time that could also be used to manage their core retail operations. Some of these challenges included
- The lack of a process to oversee suppliers and alignment to manage prioritised orders
- Unreliable carrier services to transport goods from places of origin to crucial markets
- The origin supply chain faced issues due to a lack of control of supplier behaviour
The Maersk solution
Working closely with the customer, Maersk’s team of experts evaluated their supply chain to spot the critical areas of concern. The team was able to recommend a broad set of services to sort the retailer’s supplier management process, run a leaner sourcing operation and maximise efficiencies wherever possible. The solutions included
- Providing an accounts team that would align with stakeholders, streamline processes and offer end-to-end visibility.
- Setting up a daily carrier dashboard, a weekly reporting process on allocation and a monthly performance review.
- A 6-month program to educate and collaborate with the customer’s sourcing team and suppliers. The Maersk team also installed a detailed supplier performance reporting system.
With Maersk’s revamped supply chain plan, the retailer was able to see positive changes within a short period. Supplier management, sourcing operations and carrier performances also improved. Some of the direct results of our services included
- Within six weeks, the retailer saw a 51% improvement in on-time delivery rates for prioritised orders.
- Full visibility of their carriers’ performances. Carrier compliance rate also improved by 10%.
- Visible improvement in supplier performance on booking and delivery. Overall on-time rates increased by 20%.
Within six weeks, the retailer saw a 51% improvement in on-time delivery rates for prioritised orders.
Full visibility of their carriers’ performances. Carrier compliance rate also improved by 10%.
Visible improvement in supplier performance on booking and delivery. Overall on-time rates increased by 20%.
Flexibility to shape your retail supply chain
Our integrated approach to ocean and logistics services provides us with a unique advantage - the ability to tailor logistics solutions according to your business requirements. It includes the expertise to handle your entire supply chain end-to-end, along with every disruption if needed.
To know how to get the most out of your business with our supply chain solutions, contact us.