The Canadian Border and Service Agency (CBSA) requires freight forwarders ensure the transmission of house bill supplemental data be on file with CBSA prior to vessel loading. This requirement applies to any cargo loaded aboard a vessel that will call Canada.
If you are a Freight Forwarder registered with CBSA, you may file your cargo manifest directly using your 8000-series filer ID. In the alternative, you must provide the cargo manifest to an automated ocean carrier to file Supplemental HBL data on your behalf. In either case, you, the Freight Forwarder, are the regulated party required to provide the cargo manifest information at the house bill of lading level via one of the above-described filing methods.
Maersk requires that Supplemental House Bill information be provided as instructed below:
1) If your intent is to submit Supplemental House Bill data to Customs directly as an authorized filer, then your shipping instructions must indicate the bill type as master. A keyword phrase recommended by CIFFA is “consolidated indicator yes”
2) If your intent is to have Maersk submit Supplemental House Bill data, then your shipping instructions must indicate the HBL is included. The associated house bills must be included with the master shipping instructions.
3) Master Shipping Instructions sent via the different e-channels should mention the word “NVOCC or SCAC” to indicate the bill type as master in free text:
- Maersk’s customers – can use the new feature of Master selection option via “Additional References” - Maersk website
- INTTRA - Shipper’s Memoranda, Additional Comments
- EDI - Shipper’s memoranda
- EDI – Only, customers who do not have free text option in the Shippin
- Instruction can use the “cargo description” to provide the information.
4) House bill supplemental filing requests received post document cut will not be accepted.
Effective July 6, 2019, Maersk will increase the fee for the service of transmitting your House Bill of Lading to USD50 per bill of lading.
We want to thank you for your business and look forward to continuing serving your global transportation needs. Please reach out to your local Maersk office if any questions.