Diversity and inclusion
At Maersk diversity and inclusion are key levers to strengthen business results in the markets we operate in and a necessary action for access to future and wider talent pools. Our ultimate aim for diversity and inclusion is to build an organizational culture where everyone can reach their full potential.
Our commitment to Diversity
Discrimination and harassment are not tolerated. This creates a workplace with an open and vibrant culture – where people are free to be themselves, do their best, inspire others and realise potential for themselves and their teams.
Diversity & Inclusion in the workplace
What are we doing at Maersk?
Our diversity and inclusion strategy is a fundamental component of our approach to talent. We understand that talent is naturally diverse, ensuring that we hire, retain and develop diverse talent are the key drivers behind our diversity and inclusion strategy. We focus on driving inclusion through:
1. Engaging our employees in the diversity and inclusion journey through employee networks, targeted communications around the business case for diversity and inclusion and understanding the different challenges and opportunities that working in a global and diverse organisation can bring.
2. Building inclusion capability within our organisation is a priority for the diversity and inclusion agenda and one we continue to invest in with our employees and leaders. We have run and will continue to run workshops for our leaders on inclusion and plan to roll out an employee wide program soon.
3. In addition, we know that difference exists within our regions and parts of our business which means there may be different priorities and opportunities for diversity and inclusion. Encouraging our leaders to drive local leader-lead ownership of the diversity and inclusion agenda is important to ensuring relevancy and timeliness in making and accelerating our progress
The same focus has also driven the development of diversity improvement targets which are set at Group and individual company level. The targets allow us to measure our progress with regards to gender and nationality. The Group targets are reported annually in our sustainability report.
What is the future of Diversity and Inclusion for Maersk?
Our ultimate aim for diversity and inclusion is to build an organizational culture where everyone can reach their full potential. We have a great culture at Maersk and enabling our employees to be more inclusive will not only add to the employee experience of working at Maersk but benefit our business results.
Our focus is on building an inclusive culture. Our immediate focus is to continue working with our leadership teams increasing their knowledge on inclusive practices and behaviour, with a strong focus on increasing diversity of thought, innovation and collaboration across our organisation.
Why is Diversity and Inclusion important for Maersk?
- Business success in a rapidly changing world depends on access to the best possible competencies, skills and ideas. Having an inclusive culture will better position us to attract and hire from the widest talent pool.
- Innovation and change are key competitive enablers for any global business. An inclusive culture we believe will create an environment for new ideas and new thinking to flourish.
- Understanding and leveraging the global talent pool allows us to anticipate future demographic changes in the workforce.
- Diversity and Inclusion are aligned to running compliant businesses and working in accordance with our values.
Maersk is selected for the 2019 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index
The 230 member firms in this year’s index are leading the way in how they advance women in their workplaces, their products, and their communities.
Being part of the index signals that we are heading in the right direction, however we recognise we still have a long way to go and so will accelerate the pace of change in driving gender equality at Maersk.Rachel Anna Osikoya (Head of Diversity & Inclusion, A.P. Moller - Maersk)