UK Landside Update
We are currently experiencing a high landside demand in terms of a surge in import arrivals which coupled with several external issues as listed is causing disruption to normal service levels in the market
- Lost working days at Felixstowe Port in Weeks 35 and 36 due to the summer storms and bank holidays respectively
- Delayed vessels from Asia not meeting their berthing slots (mostly caused by weather and typhoons)
- Reduced productivity at ports and depots especially at shift changes due to necessary new hygiene regimes driven by Covid
- Reduced productivity at the Port of Felixstowe caused by staff shortages
- Build-up of empty containers congesting the Port of Felixstowe reducing efficiencies further
- Vessel diversions driven by all the above
- Driver shortages in the market driven by lost labour post Covid in the form of returning overseas nationals and furloughed staff
In order to ease congestion in Felixstowe we will temporarily cease acceptance of empty container restitution at the Port of Felixstowe.
During this period, we will allow inland restitution of empty containers without penalty.
To book in the return of your empty container please refer to further information found here.
If you have any questions, please reach out to your local sales or customer service representative. We want to thank you for your business and look forward to continously serving your global transportation needs.