Weight Discrepancy Fee - Ireland to World
Since 1 July 2016, every packed export container has been required to have a Verified Gross Mass (VGM) as a condition of loading aboard a vessel. Maersk supports this requirement as it promotes safety across the industry, including for our customers and their cargoes, landside personnel, and subsequently our employees and vessels.
We would like to take the opportunity to underline the importance of submitting VGM in an accurate and timely manner.
Effective from 1-June-2020, Maersk reserves the right to charge a Weight Discrepancy Fee (WDF) of USD 100 per Bill of Lading in any of the below situations
- Discrepancy between VGM and weight declared in shipping instruction (Shipping instruction weight + Container Tare weight), +/- 500 kgs or +5% tolerance
- Declared VGM exceeds Max Gross Weight of the container as per “Container Safety Convention Plate” (excluding Shipper Owned Container), or
- Declared VGM is less than Tare Weight of the container.
We further reiterate the importance of declaring the correct weight via your chosen channels.
The preferred method for submission to Maersk is through one or any of the digital channels listed below, after empty containers gate out
- Via our Maersk website and login through our portal.
- Via EDI message for customers sending booking or shipping instructions with Maersk.
- Via service portals such as INTTRA, GT Nexus, and CargoSmart.
We thank you in advance for your continued support, and if you have any questions please reach out to your local Maersk.