Effective from 1 July 2016, every packed export container is required to have a Verified Gross Mass (VGM) as a condition of loading aboard a vessel. Maersk supports this requirement as it promotes safety across the industry, including for our customers and their cargoes, landside personnel, and subsequently our employees and vessels.
We would like to take the opportunity to underline the importance of submitting VGM in an accurate and timely manner.
As mentioned in our earlier advisory we have introduced a weight discrepancy fees of USD 100 per container with effect from 15th June 2020 for all non FMC shipments. We will be extending these fees to FMC shipments as well effective 1st August 2020.
Maersk reserves the right to charge a Weight Discrepancy Fee (WDF) of USD 100 per container in any of the below three situations
- Discrepancy between VGM and weight declared in shipping instruction (Shipping instruction weight + Container Tare weight),
- Declared VGM exceeds Max Gross Weight of the container as per “Container Safety Convention Plate” (excluding Shipper Owned Container), or
- Declared VGM is less than Tare Weight of the container.
We further reiterate the importance of declaring the correct weight via your chosen channels.
The preferred method for submission to Maersk is through one or any of the digital channels after empty containers gate out as mentioned below
- Via our Maersk website and login through our portal.
- Via EDI message for customers sending booking or shipping instructions with Maersk.
- Via service portals such as INTTRA, GT Nexus, and CargoSmart.
We thank you in advance for your continued support, and if you have any questions please reach out to your local Maersk representative.
By submitting this form, I agree to receive logistics related news and marketing updates from A. P. Moller-Maersk and its affiliated companies via e-mail. I understand that I can opt out of such Maersk communications at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link. To see how we process your personal data, please see our Privacy Notification.