Project Controls Lead
As part of a project leadership team, APMT are looking for an individual to lead the project controls discipline for APMT Med Port Tangier expansion (TM2-E) project. The role is the Project Controls Lead (PCL).
Project implementation is a key value driver in APM Terminals (APMT). Our ability to build a container terminal, establish an operational organization and secure commercial business delivers real NPV to APMT and the broader A.P. Møller – Mærsk (APMM) business. Equally, if we are able to improve on the original plans for a project, we may be able to secure incremental value for the entire APMM group and broader stakeholders.
The TM2-E project will expand an existing, fully automated terminal operation, which is strategically important to APMM and the world economy. Whilst the project focusses primarily on delivering assets, the most complex challenge is in integrating them into the existing operation.
To be successful in this role, we need our Project Controls Lead to deliver in three areas:
1. A source of one-truth on performance. Transparent and purposeful communication is essential. This will include internal (the broader project team) and external (broader APMM and external) stakeholder communication. Building rapport, project-wide commitment (to accurate reporting and planning) and psychological trust will be critical to providing accurate information.
2. A centre of excellence for project management knowledge to support decision making. Knowledge of project management best practice and tools, and an understanding of lean will be important. Success will be possible if the project can remain focusssed on customer value, even if this evolves from what it looks like today.
3. A driving force for proactive and effective project management and leadership. To facilitate the management of project performance, projects need to be proactive. This means a strong knowledge and responsibility for reporting on leading and lagging indicators.
Project controls is a key technical function to deliver our project success criteria and ultimately the benefits back to the business. How this is led and delivered is just as essential as what is delivered. We believe it requires transparency on the results, great knowledge or experience to draw upon, and a mindset focussed on predicting and improving in the future.
These are the areas of the project where the PCL will have ownership, including of the consequences, no matter how, where or who undertakes the work or tasks.
Project controls reporting The overall project “Way of Working”, including meetings, adherence to standards and APMT process Consolidation and adherence (by the project) to:
- Project controls tools
- Project Execution Plan (PEP), including project management plans
Leadership of TM2-E project controls function (including, if necessary, team leadership)
These are the tasks that are expected to be undertaken by the PCL on the project.
- Implement, maintain and drive the transparent application of the APMT project management and control tools by the project team itself and its consultants, contractors and suppliers.
- Obtain and maintain scope, schedule, quality control and budget baselines.
- the correct application of the change management processes (changes to scope, schedule, requirements and budget),
- the risk management process and ensure timely input from the project team,
- the document management process, and
- the correspondence registration system.
- Ensure correct and timely reporting:
- within the project and team,
- to Project Director, Technical Lead, Equipment & Business Integration Lead and other relevant leads.
- to HQ Program Lead and PMO, and
- to other corporate counterparts (as required),
- including both leading and lagging indicators of project performance
- Act as primary point of contact for all project control systems (mainly PMWeb) and be responsible for the user rights administration.
- Liaise with the functional counterpart on project control system issues and improvements.
Controls & governance
- Implement APMT project controls and project procedures to manage the construction, delivery of equipment and project IT & automation proactively.
- Track project progress against the approved baselines and, where appropriate, ensure issues are proactively addressed, resolved and/or escalated and reported.
- Ensure clear and consistent reporting within and from the project team.
- Regularly meet with the construction, equipment and IT teams to maintain awareness of (potential) project control issues.
- Build working relations with counterparts at the head office, consultants, contractors and suppliers.
- Work closely with the project team to maintain consistent and accurate project control
- Liaise with the APMT global departments to ensure consistency with company standards.
- Provide feedback to the Project Execution team.
REPORTING AND SCOPE:
- Direct reporting: TM2-E Project Director
- Functional reporting: Global Project Execution Senior Project Management Officer (PMO)
- Geographical scope: Local (Morocco, Tangier)
- Relevant professional experience:
- 10 years overall, including a minimum of 5 years within a project controls functional discipline
- Accountability in project delivery on at least two large-scale and complex capital infrastructure projects
- Working in a culturally and technical diverse team and environment, internally and externally to your organisation
- Confidently presenting and effectively communicating to internal (project) and external (HQ) stakeholders in written and spoken English
- Coaching and/or mentoring others across a team or broader functional business
- Delivering a high-level of accuracy and quality
- Relevant (& hands on) technical experience and knowledge of:
- Completion and been awarded an advanced project management qualtification, for example APM PMQ, PMI PMP certificate or equivalent.
- Project management platforms and systems (for managing document controls, contracts, change, cost, communication and milestones) e.g. PMWeb, Proliance, PCM, Skire or similar.
- Project management tools including scheduling software e.g. Primavera, MS Project, etc.
- Managing through influence and creating team commitment to following a governance structure, including procedures, processes and project controls
- Proactive performance management through leading (predictive) measures
Preferred (but not essential)
- Experience of working in a matrix organisation
- Experience of supervision and line management of others in project controls or project management roles.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) preferred, but not essential