Anything you need, just ask
These are just some of the ways that we ensure that your oversized cargo is transported safely and efficiently. If you want to know more about what we can do for you, just ask.
With more than 40 years of experience in transporting oversized and heavy shipments and an unparalleled global network, we have the capacity to deliver your special cargo to any part of the world. Our international team of special cargo experts have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the challenges involved, and are here to help you every step of the way.
When you partner with us, you get:
- Schedule reliability, with weekly departures and global coverage
- Lower production and transportation costs of your project cargo
- A large equipment pool and close relationships with terminals, ensuring special care of your cargo
- 24-hour service for In Gauge, Out of Gauge and Break Bulk rate requests Special cargo experts in locations near you
Container solutions for your special cargo
Is your shipment too wide, too tall or too heavy for a standard container? No problem. At Maersk, we offer first-class services in the Break Bulk, Out of Gauge and In Gauge segments.
With these special container solutions, you can enjoy the standard services offered by RoRo, conventional carriers and break bulk vessels, combined with all the advantages that our liner shipping has to offer, such as frequent, reliable departures, fixed schedules and unparalleled global reach.
Your fast-track to special cargo shipments
For most companies shipping special cargo, time is of the essence. Opportunities often appear at short notice – and you need to react quickly. Our 24-hour global quoting team allows you to do just that. Send us your request and we will get back to you within 24 hours, any day of the year.
In addition, we have special cargo teams located in ports near you, ready to help with advice and support. As a result, you always get the fastest possible service no matter where you are or how complex your cargo.
We ship all types of special cargo
Oversized and overweight cargo is characterised by exceeding the proportions and capabilities of a single standard container. Whether you are shipping a 350-ton tugboat, a 46-metre crane arm or a 17-metre propeller, we have the expertise and equipment available to deliver.
Special cargo definitions
In Gauge cargo
- The dimensions of the cargo are smaller than or equal to those of the flat rack or open top container (i.e. it requires special equipment but does not displace additional slots on the vessel)
- Examples of In Gauge shipments: machinery or large trees that can be lowered into an open top container
- If you are shipping In Gauge cargo, you can book your shipment in just a few minutes on Maersk.com
Out of Gauge cargo
- The dimensions of the cargo exceed the flat rack or open top container by length, width or height, but can still be unitised in containers
- Examples of Out of Gauge shipments: propellers, flanges or trucks
- Vastly exceeds the size and/or weight of a standard container and is therefore handled as non-unitised cargo and normally placed on a bed of flat racks with a large number of lashing points
- Examples of common Break Bulk shipments: yachts, masts, industrial machines or train carriages