We want your experience with us to be straight forward, we have taken an initiative towards Safety due to variance between weight provided. The most recent incident in Jan-2020 occurred on Aotea Maersk where a container stack collapsed due to a weight discrepancy.
We would like you to work together with us to eliminate all these unfortunate incidents from happening to any of your cargo. Therefore, we would like to take the opportunity to underline the importance of submitting VGM in an accurate and timely manner.
Effective from 15-June-2020, Maersk reserves the right to charge a Weight Discrepancy Fee (WDF) of USD 100 per bill of lading in any of the below three situations
- Discrepancy between VGM and weight declared in shipping instruction (Shipping instruction weight + Container Tare weight),
- Declared VGM exceeds Max Gross Weight of the container as per “Container Safety Convention Plate” (excluding Shipper Owned Container), or
- Declared VGM is less than Tare Weight of the container.
We further reiterate the importance of declaring the correct weight via your chosen channels.
The preferred method for submission to Maersk is through one or any of the digital channels after empty containers gate out as mentioned below
- Via our Maersk website and login through our portal.
- Via EDI message for customers sending booking or shipping instructions with Maersk.
- Via service portals such as INTTRA, GT Nexus, and CargoSmart.
We thank you in advance for your continued support, and if you have any questions please reach out to your local Maersk.