Shipping to Panama
Customs House Brokerage
|Import Customs Clearance||Transit Documents|
|Harmonized Tariff Code Classification Import declaration preparation and submission Special Permits and validation processing Duties and Taxes Calculations Cross-Border Clearance - All Truck Imports||DMCE* (PAXPE + PAPPC Entry) – Elaboration Decreto 6 (Move to Off-Dock BD**) - Elaboration|
Additional Custom House Brokerage services
PRE-SHIPMENT Consulting & special product licensing
- New Product Entry - Permit Assessment VAS*
- Attorney Representation - Permit Generation – VAS*
- First Importer/Exporter - Process Advisory
What is required to complete Customs House Brokerage?
- Original Commercial Invoice stating FOB/CIF value
- Packing List (not mandatory)
- Original BL (including freight charges)
- Certificate of Origin if applicable
- Additional Certificates if applicable (Authorities, Fumigation, etc.)
- Preferred HTC per line (not mandatory)
- Written confirmation of acceptance duties & taxes pre-settlement sent by CHB before con-tainer discharge at POD.
- Note: if no international insurance amount is declared, customs will assume 1% of declared CIF value is associated to insurance purposes.
- Certificated check for duties & taxes payment.
Q: What can hold up my Customs Clearance?
A: A variety of reasons can hold up a clearance, to name a few but not limited to, would be awaiting mandatory documents, awaiting payment, customs holds, Port Authority holds and vessel delays.
Q: What is a classification number HS Code?
A: A classification number is a unique digit code that relates to a specific product and determines and determines the amount of Duty payable and the Non-Tariff Regulations required to clear the cargo.
Q: Why do I need to provide a classification number HS Code?
A: Correct classification of goods is critical to identification of cargo’s arriving into Panama and the related Non-tariff regulations required. Cargo description and technical information are required to determine the correct classification.
Q: How will I know when my shipment has cleared customs?
A:Our team will email the customer with clearance paperwork as soon as the shipment has been released from customs and is free to leave the port.
Q: Who can I contact regarding my Customs Clearance?
A: PA.IMPORT@MAERSK.COM or PA.EXPORT@MAERSK.COM
Q: Who will invoice me for my Customs Clearance?
A: Damco will raise an invoice with the local charges and expenses, as well as the CHB.
Q: I have a query regarding my Customs Clearance Invoice, who can I contact?
A:PA.IMPORT@MAERSK.COM or PA.EXPORT@MAERSK.COM
Abbreviations & Explanations
CHB = Customs House Brokerage
VAT = Value Added Tax
HTS = Harmonized Tariff Schedule
EORI = Economic Operators’ Registration and Identification
AEO = Authorized Economic Operator
POA = Power of Attorney
T1 = Transit Document which allows the movement of non-EU commodity between two customs offices (EU)
T2L = Document which proofs the EU status
Demurrage and Detention
|STANDAR FREE TIME - IMPORTS|
|Port/Terminal Names||All Ports|
|Valid from||1st January 2019|
|Valid to||31st December 2019|
|Charge Type||Import - Combined D&D|
|Transport Mode||All transport modes|
|Service Mode||All service modes|
|Freetime||DAYS||Calendar / Working||Same / Next day if after|
|STANDARD RATES APPLICABLE AFTER FREE TIME*|
|From (Days)||To (Days)||Rate for 20 DRY||Rate for 40/45 DRY||Rate for 20 REEF||Rate for 40 REEF||Rate for 20' Flat & Open Top|
|Tier 1||8||12||USD 100||USD 100|
|Tier 2||13||Thereafter||USD 120||USD 120|
|Tier 1||5||11||USD 125||USD 125||USD 125|
|Tier 2||12||Thereafter||USD 150||USD 150||USD 150|
NOR's are considered under REEF freetime (4 days) and will have a chargeable amount equal to REEF cargo.
Customs and quarantine requirements
- Customer must present one original bill of lading.
- Commercial invoice
- Customer must present a customs clearance document (liquidacion de aduana),for Colon Free Zone delivery free zone document duly completed.
- Import zoosanitary or phitosanitary and origin certificates for unprocessed animal and vegetal product.
Freight collect approval
For dry containers, charges are accepted without previous notification. For reefer, hazardous, OOG, B/B, personal effects containers are subject to pre-approval, which must be obtained before loading.
OOG, B/B and IMO cargo are subject to standard Maersk Line approval procedures.
Types of BLs
Negotiable Bill of Lading (Original Bill of Lading):
1. This BL can be printed and send by shipper via courier from origin
2. Shipper can request Telex Release order
3. Original BL printing can be assigned by shipper from origin for consignee to be able to print at Panama
Please note this BL can be endorsed
Non Negotiable Sea Waybill
Consignee requires a copy or certified true copy of this BL to seal the release. If you require a freighted or not freighted copy of this BL, you may kindly send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to request the copy.
Necessary Documentation for Release:
1. Official letter of authorization stating responsible person to withdraw release at the counters on behalf of the company
2. Check or deposit slip paying the import charges
3. BL originals or Sea Waybill copy
Necessary Documentation to retrieve transport orders:
1. Booking confirmation
2. Official letter containing the responsible person to retrieve the documentation on behalf of company (Name, ID, Trucking Company Name, Plate)
3. ID or passport copy of the person signing the official letter
Email Adresses for Customer Service Panama
For your convenience and in the means to improve our response time, we kindly remind you the email adresses we have for each areas in a shipment.
|Booking confirmations||Arrival Notice||Cutoffs|
|Documentation/Cargo Delivery Extensions|
|Booking / BL Amendments that are not feasible using webpage||Freighted/ Not-Freighted BL Copies (Import Shipments)||Booking Rolling Letters|
|Destination Release||Import Detention Confirmation|
|Re-exports||Release Enquiries, Telex Release Enquiries||Containers Relations|
|Triangulations||Late Addition Application|
|General Export Enquiries|
In For inland service coordination (Store Door)
Please contact: email@example.com
- Road Weight Limitation in Panama: 31,900 Kg (GROSS WEIGHT) for 20', 40' and 45'units. For units that exceed this weight, a fine will be received from Local Transit Authority according to local laws.
- Not acceptable in PABLB, PAMAN IMO CLASS 1.1/1.2/5.1 (UNNO 1490)/7