Shipping to Kuwait
Demurrage and Detention
Import Demurrage/Detention Charges and Free-Time
- Freetime is INCLUSIVE of date of return empty to Maersk stack in port.
- Demurrage/Detention Freetime and Charges are same, meaning there is no separate Detention Freetime and Charges.
- Net Freetime and Chargeable days are INCLUSIVE of public holidays.
- Net Freetime is INCLUSIVE of public holidays and weekends from the day of discharge.
- Chargeable Days are INCLUSIVE of public holidays.
- SPECIAL = FLAT ROCK/OPEN TOP/COLLAPSIBLE/FLAT RACK/ARTIFICIAL TWEEN DECK/TANK/45 Containers.
- DRY = Standard and High cubes, including 45 Containers.
- REEFER = Refrigerated Containers
Demurrage/Detention Freetime & Charges
Kuwait Dinars PER container Unit PER DAY payable by Merchant for Imports to Kuwait effective Discharge Date on or after 1st September 2012
Line Demurrage/Detention Charges and Free-Time
|Equipment Type||Detention Charge||20'/day (KWD)||40'/day (KWD)|
|DC / HC||1-8 days||Free||Free|
Import Process & Amendment cutoffs
- Documentation fee will be increased from KWD 40 to KWD 45 for all import shipments, effective from 1st June 2018 for all NON-FMC shipments and from 1st July 2018 for FMC shipments.
- Effective 1st June 2018 all FORWARDER shipment requiring consignee name change from forwarder name to final consignee will be charged a fee of KD 3 prior to manifest. Amendment requests after manifest filing will be charged with a regular fee of KD 10.
To collect Delivery order, below documents are necessary:
- Endorsed OBL/Seaway Bill
- Civil ID copy
Over weight charges:
Charges applicable as per below table if cargo is overweight:
|Weight more than (in MT)||Charge (KD)|
|TRANSHIPMENTS||Amendment to be submitted at least 6 days prior vessel arrival|
|JEBEL ALI||Amendment to be submitted at least 4 days prior vessel arrival|
* If the amendment is not submitted timely, same needs be requested at counter with the necessary documents. KD 10 charge applicable per amendment.
Consignee name, Quantity or Weight amendment*:
- Amendment request letter should be submitted by authorized party (Shipper), mentioning:
- a) the exact per B/L change (From/To).
- b) Indemnifying Maersk of any chargers/delays that may occur as a result of this request and requester to take full liability.
- Old customer endorsement letter signed by authorized representative of the company (and certified by the bank if bank is the party on the Bill of Lading)
- Old DO if issued needs to be returned if bayan not prepared.
- 3 Original Bill of Ladings
*Quantity and weight amendment can be requested by consignee as well
Change Packages No or Weight
- Amendment request letter should be submitted by authorized party (Shipper or Consignee), mentioning: a) the exact change (From/To). b) Maersk indemnity of any chargers/delays that may occur as a result of this request and requester to take full liability.
- Old delivery order if issued.
- 3 Original Bill of Ladings or release.
At present we have Container Yard (CY) acceptance at Shuwaikh and Shuaiba Terminal. Both ports are served by US flagged vessels only. In case of any exception required, please check with our operations department Kw.firstname.lastname@example.org
The Kuwaiti authorities have banned the import of alcoholic beverages, gambling machines and pornographic materials. Pork and pork products are also strictly prohibited to be imported into the country.
Weight / Measurement:
There is no weight limitation other than the maximum weight as stipulated on the Container Safety Convention (CSC) plate of the container.
Shuwaikh and Shuaiba port’s gantry crane has maximum weight limitation of 40 metric tons. For over weight containers discharged, double handling charges are imposed (i.e. containers in excess of 24 mts/20' and 30 mts/40' & 45'; an additional cost of KWD 22/20', KWD 38/40', and KWD 50/45').
The Port will levy a fine of Kuwaiti Dinar (KWD) 150 per container if its weight exceeds gantry weight limit or Container Safety Convention (CSC) plate limit.
Break Bulk and Out of Gauge cargo need prior confirmation from Maersk Kuwait Kw.email@example.com prior loading at origins, and has to be direct delivery upon arrival into Kuwait. Additional discharge cost for Out of Gauge cargo is based on unitized amount of Kuwaiti Dinar (KWD) 15 per container and subject to all other charges.
For cargo over 29 metric tones, request via mail to Kw.firstname.lastname@example.org is mandatory prior acceptance and loading of cargo at origin in order to arrange special cranes. Failing in sending request prior loading of container will be concluded as erroneous declaration and container will be either kept onboard or will incur claims fine.
No amendments to be made on transport documents (Bills of Lading/Seaway Bill) 96 hours prior vessel arrival at destination (Kuwait) without destination office approval.
In the case of switch bills of lading and foreign consignee's (consignee out of Kuwait), details of the cargo receiver in Kuwait must be updated 96 hours prior cargo discharge at Kuwait, Amendments after deadline would require mandatory approval from destination Kw.email@example.com.
Acceptance of split B/L manifested with multiple consignee's under one container is not permitted.
For commodities cars shipment, as per Kuwaiti customs regulations multiple cars under one bill of lading on single person name is not allowed (i.e. each person is allowed to import one (1) car only). In case of non-adherence all related customs penalties and charges will be on the responsibility of the origin shipper.
Special note for shipment in transit to Iraq, a clause needed to be added in the transportation document (Bill of Lading).
i.e. in description part to read 'CARGO IN TRANSIT TO IRAQ'.
- Hazardous (IMO) cargo is subject to approval from Kw.firstname.lastname@example.org prior acceptance and loading.
- No Less Container Load (LCL) or Container Freight Station (CFS) delivery is acceptable.
Import of transshipment for IMO 1 cargo from Jebel Ali is Restricted.
- Cars over 5 years old are not allowed to be imported into Kuwait (i.e. cars should not be older than 5 years when discharging in Kuwait)
- Vintage cars are over 40 years can be imported only on a PERSONAL name.
- One person can only import ONE car on their name. (1 Car per Person per bill of Lading)
- 2 or more cars in a container are ONLY permitted if booking is done on a Forwarder Company name.
ALL vehicles shipments or personal effects with vehicle require destination approval prior quotation / Booking Stage by emailing email@example.com. Email to destination MUST contain the following confirmation from the consignee, else request will be rejected.
- Chassis Number, Model and Year of Manufacture details must be provided.
- Consignee is required to be aware:
- 1)Local procedures and regulations.
- 2)Demurrage and detention tariff.
- Contact number and email of consignee/consignee's agent.