Project Controls Engineer - Project Contract
Part of A.P. Moller-Maersk, we leverage more than 100 years of industry experience to design and build high-quality container terminals.
Project Execution (PE) is the function responsible for developing and implementing the strategy for project implementations, governance and standards to be used in the APM Terminals wide organization and is directly responsible for large CAPEX driven projects including Greenfields , major expansion as well as upgrades and retrofits to existing facilities.
We will soon kick off significant capital expansion project at our existing operation in Tangier, Morocco. The goal of the project is to both grow the existing container terminal business for APM Terminals TM2 as well as expand the business value and proposition for entire West Med.
Managing the project using both leading and lagging indicators will be key to successful performance management of the project team, suppliers and contractors – this is heavily reliant on success of project controls. Further to this, setting up and maintaining all project control systems, tools and reports is essential
Whilst overall accountabilities remain with the Project Controls Lead, the Project Engineer will be responsible for assisting on many areas within the Project Controls discipline.
- Assist in the implementation and maintaining the APMT project management and control tools by the project team itself and its consultants, contractors and suppliers.
- Assist in maintaining scope, schedule and budget baselines.
- Assist in:
- the correct application of the change management processes (changes to scope, schedule and budget),
- the risk management process and ensure timely input from the project team,
- the document management process, and
- the correspondence registration system.
- Safeguard (and drive) correct and timely coordination or reporting within the project and team.
- Assisting the Project Controls Lead in preparing reports to:
- to HQ Program Lead and PMO, and
- TM2 Business (including Finance Partners and CAPEX Controller)
- to other corporate counterparts (as required),
- including both leading and lagging indicators of project performance
- Project Execution Reviews
- Assist in the implementation of APMT project controls and project procedures to manage the delivery of the two key workstreams; building the asset (construction, equipment & IT) and building the business (integration to the existing business and operational handover).
- Responsible for interface management and coordination on the site between different parties, contractors and and suppliers
- Tracking project progress against the approved baselines and, where appropriate, make sure issues are proactively addressed, resolved and/or escalated and reported appropriately.
Team, Stakeholder & Communication,
- Ensure clear and consistent reporting within and from the project team.
- Build working relations (at a relevant level) with counterparts at the head office, consultants, contractors and suppliers.
- Work closely with the project team to maintain consistent and accurate project control
- Where required, liaise with the APMT global departments to ensure consistency with company standards.
Where required, provide feedback to the Project Execution team
Key Qualifications, skills, and personal experience:
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) preferred, but not essential
Technical & Project Experiences
- Minimum 3-5 years professional experience on projects, including;
- Successfully worked on a large-scale and complex infrastructure capital project using project controls tools
- Minimum 3 years experience in a relevant project controls role/ assisting project control tools
- Relevant and hands-on experience using project management platforms and systems (used to manage document controls, contract management, change management, cost management, communication, milestone management). Examples may include PMWeb, Proliance, PCM, Skire or similar.
- Familiar with project controls tools including scheduling software (for example Primavera, MS-Project), hands-on experience preferred, but not essential.
- Experience of working in a matrix organization preferred, but not essential
- Have a strong understanding of procedures, processes, and project controls
- Ability to proactively and positively communicate the value of robust project controls to the broader project and business teams
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills is a must, knowledge of French is an advantage
- Focused and driven mindset with ability to be action and result orientated
- Ability to commit to a direction or decision to benefit the broader project or business
- Accountable for delivery of own and shared team actions and objectives
- Focus on quality for individual responsibilities and supporting the broader project outputs