Lead Software Engineer
A.P. Moller - Maersk is an integrated container logistics company and member of the A.P. Moller Group. Connecting and simplifying trade to help our customers grow and thrive. With a dedicated team of over 80,000, operating in 130 countries; we go all the way to enable global trade for a growing world. From the farm to your refrigerator, or the factory to your wardrobe, A.P. Moller - Maersk is developing solutions that meet customer needs from one end of the supply chain to the other.
The Customs Integration Platform (CIP) is part of the Maersk Logistics & Services (LnS) organisation. The CIP's mission is to service the technology and product needs of the Customs Brokerage services (CHB) / Customs Services that Maersk offers to the global enterprise customers and the Customs Compliance requirements that Maersk must satisfy as a carrier.
We are currently looking for a Lead Software Engineer to join the Customs Integration Platform Team to be based out of the UK.
This role contributes within and across product teams for technical solution design, implementation, and continuous improvement of existing enterprise grade systems in alignment with agile and DevSecOps principles, working closely with Engineering, Product Owners, Designers and other key roles within Technology Teams
The Lead is a very important “T-Shaped” role demonstrating both depth and breadth across key engineering competencies, e.g. Systems Design and Architecture, Software Development, Testing, DevOps, Security, Analytics, Lifecycle Management, etc. and successfully collaborate with experts from other subject domains.
Finally, the Lead will have experience with managing people, of entry-level experience in engineering, product design and project facilitations disciplines to align people capacity with business needs and drive the modernization of existing large-scale applications and development of the customer-centric modern use cases for our large and global customers.
As a Lead what you’ll contribute
• Lead and manage a squad of highly talented and globally distributed Engineers with varying degrees of experience, with direct responsibility to deliver complex features
• While you will be responsible for directly managing individuals within your team, this is a highly technical role where you will be expected to provide technical leadership both for your immediate team and more broadly across the organization
• Work with teams across multiple sites and geographies as a collaborator and partner. You will need to be able to gain respect and trust both from a technical perspective with your immediate team and other teams including development teams, support, solution sales, operations and product management displaying an ability to influence at all levels of the organization and across multiple domains without authority
• Drive and handle complex technical design discussions across various stakeholders to its logical closure
• Research, design and implement industry best practices regarding provisioning, maintaining and monitoring cloud/hybrid/on-prem environments
• Work with product management and other teams, to question, pushback when required and eventually establish new requirements and play a lead role in the prioritization, design and implementation of features to deliver on the broader vision for Maersk Customs Integration Platform
• Scope and author plan for complex, large features which may span across multiple teams and be delivered in multiple release cycles. Track and report project and feature status at the executive level as well as to release management
• Triage and manage both feature and defect backlogs. In the context of defects, you should be comfortable with understanding complex issues which may come from customers and other teams, including being able to look at logs and other diagnostic information, asking clarifying questions and being able to direct issues to the Engineers best suited to address them
• Operate with a service ownership mindset to work in a DevOps mode where the Dev team is responsible for all automation, versioning, quality, CI/CD, logging, monitoring and maintenance of services that are being built
• Write well-documented, highly performant, reliable and maintainable production grade code
• Evaluate stability, compatibility, scalability, interoperability, and performance of the platform
• You should be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where priorities and direction may change rapidly as customer requirements and market direction changes
• Demonstrate technical expertise through publication, presentations, white papers and event participation across the Organization
• Hard-working with a "whatever it takes" attitude
• Passion for growing people and teams, and fostering their ever-greater success
• A love of building elegant software and a passion for sharing that with others
• Strong opinions on what constitutes “good code” and “bad code”
• 12+ years of progressive experience with 3+ years of experience in managing a team
• Bachelors or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Information Systems or related streams
• Fully hands-on in Low Level Design, Development, Design Patterns, event-driven architectures, distributed systems, scalability and Micro-services
• Excellent design and programming skills primarily in backend with a focus on enterprise server solutions using Java/C++/C#
• Strong hands-on with SQL and NoSQL databases such as Oracle, MySQL, MongoDB
• In-depth understanding of API design and implementation using and developing Web services/RESTful APIs using JAX-RS, JSON
• Experience with Data stores such as MongoDB, Containers, and Cloud-native technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible and Terraform
• Experience with any messaging infrastructure (Apache/Confluent Kafka, Kafka with Zookeeper, Artemis Active MQ or Rabbit MQ)
• Experience in use of source code management system GIT and build tools like Maven, Gradle
• Good experience on unit test framework like Junit, Mockito and code coverage tools like SonarQube/JaCoCo
• Understands the fundamentals of agile methodologies and implements – TDD and Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe®)
• Absolutely fluent in using CI/CD tools such as Jira, Git, GitHub, Jenkins
• Experience working with cloud technologies (AWS/Azure/GCP) and building cloud-native solutions
• Use of open-source packages for common capabilities
• Documentation skills needed with experience in Swagger and/or Markdown