Junior Legal Counsel
We’re taking a big step on this journey, carrying out a vital mission: support our employees, so they can best support our customers.
In your capacity as a Junior Legal Officer, you will offer prompt and efficient assistance to the Terminal leadership team and the G.M. Legal & Corporate Affairs on matters pertaining to the terminal's operations, as well as first line legal assistance to Departments and Line Managers.
- Attend and represent the Terminal at designated hearings with relation to legal, regulatory or statutory matters either in court or with regulatory authorities and government agencies as may be assigned by the G.M Legal or Head of Terminal.
- Provide prompt and efficient legal support to terminal functions and units in the drafting and reviewing of standard legal documentation relating to the terminal operations including but not limited to memos, letters, agreements, leases etc.
- Ensure that all legal agreements align with the Company Group policy. Support the claims team in the investigation and handling of claims from Shipping Lines, Consignees, Insurers, Surveyors and all stakeholders in the claims process.
- Maintain contact with retained solicitors and adviser and keeps records of and follow up of all pending court cases. To ensure the company is fully represented in court when required.
- Efficiently maintain the legal secretariat by keeping an efficient record of all legal processes and documentation in line with the company’s retention policy.
- Maintain and keep updated proper records of all legal documentation, operational licenses and permits required for the Terminal’s operation. Follow up on renewals in a timely manner and minimize the Terminal’s exposure to penalties for delay in payments.
- Participate in assigned stakeholder engagements on behalf of the company upon request or approval by the GM Legal or Head of Terminal and to ensure the legal exposure is minimized by timely engagement and feedback.
- Provide support for board engagement and meetings, follow up with the Company Secretaries to ensure that the company secretariat is kept up to date with all corporate filing done as and when due
- Translate legal documents and notices where required, Undertake research into case law and legislation to provide baseline legal opinion on legal issues as may be required from time to time.
- Stay updated on laws and regulatory directives relating to Terminal Operations and to report on such to the G.M Legal on a timely basis.
- Provide support for compliance initiatives and programmes undertaken by the Terminal.
- Provide timely and efficient support to relevant teams in the conduce of Due Diligence assessments for 3rd party such due diligence activities to be conducted in accordance with the APMT Terminals Anti-Bribery and 3rd Party Management policy and all records of such exercises to be maintained as required by the Global Compliance process.
- Provide support to the Finance Team on KYC documentation and requirements for account opening and banking transactions.
- Conduct assigned trainings on legal, compliance and COMMIT guidelines.
WORK/BUSINESS CONTACTS AND AUTHORITY
Internal –Terminal Leadership Team and Staff at various departments on legal and compliance issues. Country Leadership Team on a needs basis.
External– External Solicitors, Security Agencies, External Consultants and Contractors, Consignees legal representatives, Customs Agents, Nigeria Customs Service, NPA, trucking community and stakeholders.
- Accredited legal qualification with minimum of 3 - 5 years’ experience in handling legal matters. Experience in the Maritime sector or in related industry would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of Nigerian law & practice.
- Incumbent must have a high level of analytical skills & must have complete IT skills as required in an office environment.
- Local Anti-Corruption laws and practice including facilitation payments as well as relevant UK, US and OECD laws and regulations on anti-corruption.
- Local competition law as well as relevant EU and US competition laws
- Software including presentation, spreadsheet, flow charting and word processing applications;
- The maritime industry and its critical stakeholders
- Time management and organizational skills;
- Collaborates effectively (functionally and operationally) with internal and external stakeholders
- Team player able to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships;
- Ability to be hands-on and results-orientated
- Exhibit good negotiation skills.
- Exhibits sound judgment.
- Measures results and takes corrective action when needed.
- Perform duties independently with minimal supervision within specific timelines;
- Communicate effectively orally and in writing;
In this position, the incumbent will have an opportunity to acquire skills and knowledge in the following areas;
- Exposure to legal knowledge of terminal operations & impact of these on business objectives.
- Exposure to advanced knowledge of legal compliance and risk management.
- Advanced knowledge of Insurance Activities