- The HSE Business Partner/Safety Manager is an internal consultant providing an enabling business support role. The BP is a trusted partner, serves as the terminal point of contact for HSSE efforts, and has a seat at the leadership table working on medium to longer-term objectives.
- Responsible for designing practical approaches that support staff to integrate safe behaviors into everyday activity and ensure the principles of HSSE are reflected in business decisions at all levels.
- Through coaching and cross-functional advice, guide managers and their teams in the adoption and implementation of site HSSE management requirements.
- Deliver and implement departmental strategies and key corporate initiatives to drive continuous improvement in maintaining federal, state, and local regulatory compliant programs, incident-free operations, and a safe work environment.
- Lead the HSSE vision, including role modeling great personal and team leadership and taking an active role in ensuring the HSSE Operating System is embedded successfully.
- HSSE expertise and knowledge to facilitate environmental business operations.
- Lead HSSE efforts to integrate HSSE management systems, root cause analysis and Lean tools into the HSSE landscape at Pier 400.
- Support the development and delivering HSSE on the job training programs for generic topics in accordance with the HSE competency plan.
- Ensure all HSSE reporting is completed, including monthly reporting, at the terminal and regional level.
- Maintain appropriate professional working relationships with customers, shipping lines, contractors and vendors, Government agencies and their representatives, trucking communities, terminal departments, and the Union workforce. Ensures internal stakeholders, contractors, suppliers, consultants, and visitors comply with relevant legislation and conform to site HSSE standards.
- Author standard operating procedures, root cause analysis, management of change and risk assessment.
Perform all other job-related duties as required.
Necessary to perform the requirements of the position:
- Bachelor of Science/Master of Science in Environmental Engineering
- Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, Professional engineer, or other pertinent certification
- 5 years + of health, safety, and environment experience in an industrial/terminal environment at a senior level with a proven track record in the delivery of business objectives
- Experience working in a regulated environment such as FDA, FAA, NRC or similar where formal processes are integral to business operations.
- Experience working with technology and automated system
- Experience with managing operational risks such as emergency response, chemical management, dangerous goods, and fuel management.
- Experience in leading and managing teams.
- Strong negotiation, collaboration, and influencing skills
- A demonstration of continued professional development within HSSE
- Be competent in Lean, Way of Work, Kaizen methodology and quality theory. Schedule and drive actions required of Pier 400 improvement activities.
- Accountability – Ability to identify and manage HSSE actions and follow them through to completion. Work independently and make decisions with moderate impact to terminal operations.
- Agility - Ability to modify important changes rapidly
- Collaboration - Ability to exchange and adapt skills when working together across boundaries
- Functional Excellence - Broad knowledge in job area/discipline or expertise in HSSE.
- Manage compliance with all HSSE regulatory standards and PCMSC Code
- Manage budgetary guidelines.
- Produce regular metrics measuring performance
- Responsible to maintain a clean and safe working environment.
- Promote good working relationships between internal and external stakeholders, including other terminal departments, union labor officials, and transient workforce.
- Performs other position related duties as specified by management.
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: USD 90200.00 - USD 124600.00
Benefits: Full time employees are eligible for Health Insurance, Paid Time Off, and 401k Match
The above stated pay range is the anticipated starting salary range for this position. The Company may adjust this range in light of prevailing market conditions and other factors such as location. The Company will work directly with the selected candidate(s) on the final starting salary in accordance with all applicable laws.
Notice to applicants applying to positions in the United States
You must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S.
APM Terminals is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities who are applying for positions in the U.S. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you are interested in applying for employment with APM Terminals in the U.S. and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, or if you need a reasonable accommodation to perform a job, please contact the applicable Human Resources Department by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis pursuant to an interactive dialogue between the applicant and the Company.
Pay Transparency Notice: