Assistant Operations Manager
of Operations Foremen, ensuring subordinates perform their jobs
efficiently, safely and in a timely manner. Communicates vessel
operation sequence and stevedoring requirements to subordinates.
Executes the planned yard sequence and advises planners on information
The Assistant Manager of Operations is responsible for managing and providing training for I.L.A. employees with the objective of maintaining a safe work environment, maximizing vessel productivity, controlling cost and meeting terminal and operational requirements. Assist with the enforcement of the security plan to ensure compliance with Federal Regulations CFR 105. Ensure to continuously strive to improve the service to all customers and provide an environmentally safe working environment for all APM and I.L.A. employees.
- Responsible for ensuring all daily work assignments are completed properly and safely by the I.L.A. Employees and hourly union labor you supervise.
- Responsible for directing the I.L.A. Employees in their daily work assignments to minimize labor cost and maximize terminal efficiency.
- Responsible for monitoring the arrival times of all labor, authorizing any necessary overtime, ensuring that labor is properly identified on all payroll records and ensuring that any and all appropriate payroll adjustments are made for labor based on their actual hours of work.
- Expected and required to direct the I.L.A. Employees to take appropriate action to achieve efficient and safe operations within the terminal facility, including directing the I.L.A. Employees to warn, replace or discipline rank and file I.L.A. labor as you deem appropriate. You have the authority and are expected to warn, cite, replace or fire labor that is not carrying out assigned work as instructed or in a proper or safe manner.
- Expected to use your independent judgment and discretion in making important operational decisions. Your decisions should be guided by business needs with the goal of improving overall terminal operations by maximizing labor efficiency and minimizing terminal turn-time.
- Required to become familiar with and utilize the applicable labor agreements and grievance adjustment procedures.
- Responsible for handling any grievances that are brought to your attention in an expeditious manner, and you should obtain all relevant facts and use independent judgment and discretion in adjusting any grievance.
- You have authority and discretion to determine and implement an appropriate resolution to resolve a grievance, such as hiring additional labor or paying for time in lieu thereof.
- You have the authority to work with another member of the Management Team of any other part of the APM terminal operation to cooperatively address and resolve the grievance.
- Supervise key stakeholders to achieve customer service level agreements related to the rail operations department
- Responsible for proactively communicating with Strategy and Optimization any deviation from the operating plan, participating in feedback sessions.
- Exercise management authority to promote total-terminal success in accordance with the leadership’s strategic vision, including optimization of work processes and efficient manpower utilization.
- Facilitate and promote teamwork environment with internal and external stakeholders. Customers, Carriers, Vendors as well as labor at all levels.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with other Transportation and Logistics business units to support the APMM Group strategies and vision.
Necessary to perform the requirements of the position:
- Education - Prefer bachelor’s degree in related field or Associate degree. Three (3) years transportation/stevedoring experience or equivalent military experience.
- Leadership – Strong managerial, supervisory, team building, motivating and decision-making skills in order to direct the I.L.A. Labor on a daily basis to achieve operation goals. Is receptive to innovative ideas and suggestions. Thinks strategically and has long term vision.
- Accountability – Achieve short term operational targets by maintaining standards that lead to high performance and execution
- Agility – Ability to modify important changes rapidly
- Collaboration – Ability to work together across boundaries and exchange as well as adapt skills
- Functional Excellence – Broad knowledge in job area or discipline or expertise in specific discipline
- Ensure safe working conditions and practices are adhered to.
- Structure tasks and goals and establish efficient courses of action, set priorities, organize information and efficiently execute daily tasks with consideration for company Drive for Zero policy and high productivity through the effective allocation and utilization of equipment and labor.
- Measure, record and analyze performance results against the original plan and follow up with the relevant individuals or departments.
- Ensure adherence to ILA Contracts.
- Participate in Union Grievances.
- Reconcile ILA payrolls.
- Supports company commitment to ISO 9001, 14001, 18001 certification.
- Performs other position related duties as specified by management.
Notice to applicants applying to positions in the United States
You must be authorized to work for any employer in the U.S.
APM Terminals is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities who are applying for positions in the U.S. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you are interested in applying for employment with APM Terminals in the U.S. and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, or if you need a reasonable accommodation to perform a job, please contact the applicable Human Resources Department by emailing email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis pursuant to an interactive dialogue between the applicant and the Company.
Pay Transparency Notice: