We are expanding our footprint across the Asia, Middle East and Africa region and are looking to employ an experienced Marine Services Towage Operations Port Engineer.
This successful candidate will hold an active Chief Engineers CoC with operational towage experience not negotiable. In co-operation with the Operations Superintendent, you will ensure the day-to-day operational management and support of the fleet. When required by unforeseen circumstances, you must have the capacity to, and will be required to, take command of a Tugboat as Chief Engineer and the Vessel for operations. The role requires an independent thinking, innovative leader to take ownership of operations and ensure that safety, operational excellence and good client and authority relationships are realised.
Svitzer is a non-integrated Business Unit of the Transport and Logistics Division of the MAERSK GROUP.
At Svitzer, we believe that a long-term successful career happens when there is a match between what you are passionate about, what you are good at and what is needed by our business. A successful career will include a variety of experiences that stretch you, bring you out of your comfort zone and offer you an opportunity to learn and grow in ways that also build our business.
You will be exposed to a wide and challenging range of business issues requiring regular engagement, coordination, and collaboration with key stakeholders across various management levels within Svitzer. Opportunities to work and communicate across geographical and cultural borders will enable you to build a strong professional network, as well as broaden your knowledge and strengthen your technical and professional foundation.
General Area of Responsibility
Assist Country Manager with the Overall technical and maintenance responsibility of cluster fleet of ASD & conventional tugs and ancillary craft across one of our operations.
Specific Area of Responsibility:
- Main Tasks:
• Overall technical and maintenance responsibility of local fleet.
• Minimize downtime and ensure vessel technical operational issues on ships are attended to, ensuring that safety is a primary responsibility.
• Monitor vessels’ activities and ensure preventive maintenance and repair works are carried out by vessel staff in the most efficient manner in accordance with planned maintenance schedules.
• Follow up on operational performance of vessels and arrange corrective actions to be carried out as necessary.
• Plan, execute and coordinate dry-docking of vessels. Produce, Manage and be accountable for Technical budgets and cost control for maintenance, repairs, stores, modification, and dry docking while ensuring compliance with class.
• Ensure that all vessel certifications and surveys for class, flag and international requirements are in order.
• Liaising with Flag State and Port State control also coordinate with crewing and Operational department to ensure vessels are properly crewed with competent personnel.
• Ensure timely preparation of technical reports or information to stakeholders and participate in budget preparation.
• To arrange local supply contacts and arrangements to ensure continuity within the operating budget as locally agreed.
• Ensure maintenance of quality control and cost effectiveness of all projects
• Implement and maintain repair and maintenance procedures for Company owned equipment.
• Recruit, train and assist in the motivation of all technical field staff to always ensure professionalism.
• Report to the Regional Technical Manager on any malpractice by field staff regarding operational, HSE and maintenance procedures.
• Ensure timely closeouts of technical issues that may arise from internal and external audits.
Required/Preferred Education: -
• Minimum 5-years’ experience in technical management of offshore support vessels
• Engineering graduate preferably in marine engineering and/or possess Class 1 Chief Engineer Certificate of Competency. Preferably having sailed on offshore / towage vessels • Familiar with maritime rules and regulations, codes and guidelines, ISM code and ISPS requirements
• Good Interpersonal and communication skills
• Comfortable working with common Microsoft Office IT applications
Personal Attributes: -
▪ Resilient, pro-active, self-starter
▪ Have an ability to make decisions and prioritize
▪ Work well under pressure, under occasional tight deadlines, and retain
▪ Good communication skills, able to act with tact and diplomacy
▪ Ability to handle sensitive information
▪ Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills essential
Building a Diverse Workplace
In Svitzer we value the diversity of our talent and will always strive to recruit the best person for the job – we value diversity in all its forms, including but not limited to gender, age, nationality, race, sexual orientation, disability, or religious beliefs. We are proud of our diversity and see it as a genuine source of strength for building high performing teams.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please click on the 'Apply Now' button and create a Candidate Home to manage your applications.