The Northern Corridor needs to double its capacity to reduce the time and cost of moving goods by 2020.
Removing the barriers
Transit times have always posed problems for exporters, and for agricultural farmers in particular.
The effectiveness of trade flows along the Northern Corridor is influenced by many things; road infrastructure, rail infrastructure, and border crossing facilities. A total 45% of Mombasa’s throughput moves on to neighbouring countries, with the majority of the remaining 55% destined for Nairobi, primarily by truck, on the heavily congested and often gridlocked 500-km long Mombasa-Nairobi road. To help increase trade efficiency, the amount transported by rail, currently 3%, must rise.
APM Terminals is determined to be part of the solution. Their state-of-the-art container freight station, Great Lakes, aims to relieve pressure on the port of Mombasa and ensure a healthy flow of traffic from the terminal. The idea is to move cargo from the port to be processed at the facility, and then move containers into the country by rail, reducing road freight.
“We see ourselves providing a value product that will see us growing rail as the primary mode of transit cargo, taking cargo away from the road and improving efficiency of the flow along the entire corridor,” says Jesper Harring Boll, Cluster Director for Southern Eastern Africa at APM Terminals.